Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Buddy's Race 2009

My first 5K


Sunday was the Buddy's Race against Cancer and we have a team every year in memory of Michael, we call it the Bassmaster's. This year I trained for it and ran it with Matt. How amazing that was! I ran with my wonderful husband for my first race ever, in memory of my other wonderful husband. God is good. He has blessed me with two amazing men to love. Matt probably could have won the race, he is very fast. But he stayed back with me at my snail's pace and we finished in 32 minutes. It was a hard race, I thought, with lots of steep, long hills! But I never stopped, I kept going to the finish. (I could be quoted as saying "Crap! Another Hill." as I was coming down one and heading up the last hill of the race, though.) I was so surprised when I got to the end and Angelique, Riley, Jennifer, Billie, and the rest of the bunch were all there cheering for us! It absolutely made me feel like the most special person at the race! I just assumed everyone would be out walking, but there they were as we came around the last corner. I was so surprised. Second time that day I cried. The first was at the very start of the race, when we had a moment of silence before we began to honor those with cancer and remember those lost to cancer. Matt held my hand and we bowed our heads and I said a prayer to God and also asked Michael to be with me and help me to finish. So I had both of them there with me at the same second, it felt like. And almost like he could read my thoughts, Matt squeezed my hand right as I was telling Michael thank you. I started the day out so nervous! Once we got started, I calmed down. I am fighting a chest cold/ sore throat illness, but I didn't let that stop me! I did take yesterday off, however. I plan to go for a run today, though. I think Matt and I might run another race in December. It's the Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis. We get to wear jingle bells! Not sure how that won't annoy me, but we will see! This race is in the morning, and I do so much better in the morning. The Buddy's race was at 3pm, the worst time of the day for me. Isn't that nap time? If only I had time to nap every day, that would be a perfect world! So, it was a wonderful day. I finished my first race. I ran with my loving husband for my other loving husband. Doesn't get much better than that. I still get down sometimes, but God is ever faithful to give me days like that as reminders that He is still with me, He has not forgotten me.

One side note for prayers: Billie has a staph infection in her throat. She is really feeling terrible and is not showing any signs of recovering yet. Please pray the antibiotics will kick in and stop this nasty infection, soon!

1 comment:

Jason and Vanessa said...

I cried as I read this post. What a neat way to honor Michael and to have Matt there for support that is just amazing.

I love you girl!

Vanessa