Sunday, October 5, 2014

Productivity



I am SOOOO excited to take on an October Writing Challenge.  Fellow blogger (and mommy, wife, nutritionist, believer- the list goes on, we’ve got a lot in common!) Lauren Morgan of Adventures of Jack and Me (and she is a contributor at Knoxville Moms Blog which you should follow immediately because they are FANTASTIC!)  shared her challenge yesterday (ER… a couple of days ago now)of challenging yourself outside of motherhood and daily life. (Read that blog here: October Challenge) Just to sum it up, basically choosing to concentrate on something every day outside of motherhood.

Being a stay-at-home mom is harder than I thought it was going to be.  3.5 years later, I am struggling to find myself.  Now don’t get me wrong, it is truly the best job I have ever had.  I love being the “bones” to my family.  I am the go-to person here for everyone.  And most of my days are spent doing something for one of the kids or Matt, mostly the kids.  I love that, too, but here lately it maybe has gotten me to the place of burnout. Not all of the time, but sometimes. I find three the most challenging age, and thirteen maybe is the second most challenging age. How did I end up with two most challenging aged children at the same exact time? I am certain God is trying to teach me something yet again. So all of this is just a little back-story to the reason I don’t feel very productive anymore.

I am an introvert. Everyone that knows me well knows this about me. If I am worried about something, I will not hear anything you have to say and I will not be able to think about anything except for the thing I am worried about. If I have a lot to get done, leave me alone and let me do it. Do not help me, just leave the room, house, city, whatever and stay away until I am done. When we are in a hurry to get out of the house, I have this constant list going through my mind of everything I need to do to get us out the door. Now, a wise woman would write this list down, but I never feel I have time for that so I run my list through my mind and mentally check the things off as I go. This worked great when I was single and childless, and even worked well when it was just Billie and me. Add a husband and a second child and it basically doesn’t work anymore. So all day long I spend my time circling the house and starting lots of things and finishing almost nothing. Like this blog post I started on October 2, it isn’t even that long, and I have come back to it several times, but it took getting up at 4:30 am in a quiet house to get it written.  Up until that last sentence, I was on a roll. Then Matt came in here to try to figure out why our shared camera rolls on our newly updated iPhones no longer share. He not only came in here, but he took over my computer screen from his office (he is like our IT guy here at home so he can control my screen from his)-in the MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE!- to get me to read an article about said camera roll probs. My struggle is real, pray for me! I am leaving you with this: I am working on productivity in my life, my home, my family, my brain and I am accepting the October writing challenge and I will be writing about productivity.

No comments: